CCW researchers are internationally recognized experts in complementary and alternative medicine and integrative nutrition, as well as in supportive therapies and survivor wellness.
The following is a list of books and audio programs by CCW clinicians and researchers. For a complete list of journal articles, reviews, and editorials, visit our publications page.
Handbook for Patients
Integrative Strategies for Cancer Patients: A Practical Resource for Managing the Side Effects of Cancer Therapy by Dr. Kara Kelly and Dr. Elena Ladas is the definitive patient handbook in this developing field (World Scientific Publishing 2011). With ample illustrations, the authors describe:
- Yoga poses and breathing exercises to increase energy and manage shortness of breath
- Acupressure points to reduce nausea, vomiting, and pain
- Aromatherapy (essential oils) to decrease feelings of nausea and anxiety
- Nutrition strategies to help manage loss of appetite, depression, and hot flashes
- Massage techniques to aid in relief of lymphedema, constipation, and loss of libido
- Reflexology applications for neuropathy, headaches, and insomnia
- Dietary supplements to improve symptoms of chemo brain, fatigue, and radiation burns
Dr. Kelly and Dr. Ladas also provide guidance on
- Communicating with your Medical Team
- How Complementary Medicine Therapies Work
- Cancer Associated Side Effects
All royalties from this handbook benefit the Integrative Therapies Program at Columbia University Medical Center, supporting our ongoing research in complementary and alternative medicine. The Handbook can be purchased here or from the Integrative Therapies office by calling (212) 305-9770 or email email@example.com
Patients and families may also benefit from our audio guide called Integrative Strategies for Cancer Patients. Our experts have developed a series of guided meditations with calming music in the background. This not only has a soothing effect on the body, it provides a much-needed “time-out” for the mind. Listening to these meditations, you can forget about your health challenges, and focus on the things that bring you happiness and joy. The audio guide can be purchased here.
Read more about coping with anxiety and insomnia when preparing for chemotherapy.